Thursday, May 26, 2011

Bamboozeled

I am a mom to sticks to her guns.  I don't feel like my kids can talk me into most things.  Once I pull out my serious mom voice, they know I am not kidding around.  I am the boss and I mean what I say.  I don't make threats that I can't follow through on.  At least that's the way its been...until yesterday.

Yesterday we went to Target to get each of the girls some new sandals.  And some ice cream sandwiches.  But this story is about the shoes.

Violet saw the shoes within the first 2 minutes of entering the shoe department.  She immediately put them on and fell in love.  They were ridiculous and totally impractical.  Sparkly and gaudy, and they had a little heel.  Right off I told her in my very serious mom voice:

"Violet, those shoes are ridiculous.  There is no way in the world I am going to buy you those shoes"

  Those are the words I used.  But somehow, over the course of the next 40 minutes and trying on every other pair of shoes in the store, I lost my resolve.  At some point, my mind must have shifted from "NO" to "maybe".  And eventually that lead to "yes."  She wasn't throwing a fit or demanding them (that would have been a no-brainer - she wouldn't have gotten any shoes were that the case)  No, she was smarter than that.  Her manipulation tactics are much more sophisticated.  She put these shoes on between trying on every other pair.  She put them on and sashayed up and down the isle, and looked at me and said "Mama, Please.  These are the most beautiful shoes I have ever seen!"  Then she sauntered over to the mirror to admire herself in the shoes.  

So we bought the shoes.  When we got in the car she said, bewildered:
  "I can't believe you bought me these shoes.  You said there was no way in the world you would buy them for me.  But you did."

Shit
I just lost all credibility.
I've totally been bamboozled. 
  
 They are a size too big and she can barely walk in them.

As soon as we got home she put on her fanciest dress, laid down a "red carpet" (ie: a pink towel) and walked up and down the hall.



1 comment:

tammy said...

I love it! She looks so happy! And at least they might last long since they are a size too big. I love that they are the prettiest shoes she has ever seen. These will probably be the shoes you save forever because she will get big and grow out of them but those silly shoes will bring you lots of good memories. You are a good mom.